Lancaster Comics Day is grateful to the following organisations, companies and funders for their support.
Friends of Lancaster Library
The Friends of Lancaster Library was established in late 2013. The main focus of their work is to promote and support events held at Lancaster Library. They believe that the library is a place for the whole community to enjoy and use.
With libraires being closed the Friends think it is important to use the library as much as possible and to get as many people to visit the library as possible. They work closely with the library staff but have the advantage of being able to work independently with independant funding, constitution and objectives.
Practical support involves helping with library events, promotion through our memebership and website and initiating our own projects within the library.
• More information: www.friendsoflancasterlibrary.org.uk | Facebook | Follow the Friends on Twitter @friendslanclib
The Lakes International Comic Art Festival
The Lakes International Comic Art Festival, the only event of its kind in the UK taking over the whole town of Kendal, on the edge of the Lake District, for a weekend. On his visit in 2013 internationally-renowned comic artist Joe Sacco said it was an “important moment in British comics”.
The Festival has many elements for you to experience and enjoy
- A free Comics Clocktower open Saturday and Sunday all day and full of independent creators, publishers and retailers representing a wide range of comics from around the world
- A ticketed events programme, bursting with opportunities to get up close and personal with some of the leading comic artists and writers from across the world – see them draw, talk about their work and bring comics to life in front of your eyes (which includes films, too)
- Free exhibitions and a free Windows on Comic Art Trail around town
- Workshops and masterclasses
- A free family zone with lots of drop-in activity for all ages and a series of fantastic workshops for kids and teenagers (ticketed)
- Pop-up comic art venues including a special bar with a twist
Plus a town celebrating comics for a whole weekend and offering a warm welcome comics-style.
• More information: www.comicartfestival.com | Facebook | Follow LICAF on Twitter @comicartfest
First Age Comics
Run by Mark and Lucy Braithwaite, First Age is a comic shop that has been established in Lancaster since 2006 and is located at 3 Moor Lane.
They welcome fans of all genres and aim to stock what you like best.
First Age sell the comics that are out now, not forgetting back-issues, some cool comic-related collectibles as well as comic storage supplies for your collection.
They also have a healthy interest in TV and movies, so there is plenty of other stuff available – toys, T-shirts, cards, magazines, games and books.
• First Age Comics, 3 Moor Lane, Lancaster LA1 1QD | Open: Tuesday-Saturday 10am-5.30pm | First Age Comics also has a shop site on e-Bay: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/First-Age | Facebook
Local cartoonist and illustrator Nick Miller has designed all our Festival art. Find out more about him here