The deadline for this year’s Lancaster Comics Day Comics Competition has been extended until October and the winners will be announced in the run up to the Lakes International Comic Art Festival.
Are there aliens in your dustbin? Is a gorilla living in your ginnel? We’re again looking for comic strips that tell stories of life as it might be in Lancaster.
We ran a similar competition last year and we had some fun entries, but this year we’re widening the age range so anyone can enter!
Prizes for the best entries in the top categories include Doctor Who goodies and some original graphic novels and comics, provided by Lancaster Comics Day guest (and co-organiser) John Freeman and Lancaster Comics Day supporters.
We’re looking for comic strips (no more than two pages in length) featuring your very best ideas, whether it’s rockets blasting off into outer space from the Ashton Memorial or stories of a chance encounter on a Lancaster street.
The stories can can be true or completely made up – as long as it’s a story you have told and doesn’t use copyrighted characters.
Create you own heroes, or simply tell a comic adventure set in or around Lancaster and Morecambe. Just make sure there’s something distinctively Lancastrian about your tale!
If you’d rather just draw a one-off illustration inspired by Lancaster or nearby, that’s fine, too – we just want everyone to have fun with this competition.
Entries must be received at Lancaster Library by Friday 7th October 2016 and we’ll pick five winners from each entry age group who will win some comic-related prizes.
The winners will announced on the Lancaster Comics Day web site and social media during the weekend of the Lakes International Comic Art Festival in Kendal (14th – 16th October) – who have been huge supporters of our event.
The Festival has lined up a terrific range of comics guests this year, including Bryan Lee O’Malley, 2000AD‘s Mick McMahon and many more – and there’s a huge number of free events planned for the ever popular Family Zone over the weekend!
- Your comics must be presented at A4 (210 mm width x 297mm height) or A3 (297 x 420mm) size and can be in pencil, ink or full colour.
- All entries must be handed in at Lancaster Library reception by 12 noon on Friday 7th October 2016. You can also email your entries (using the same dimensions as for paper entries) to firstname.lastname@example.org – use WeTransfer or other services for big files)
- All entries must be accompanied by a contact name, address and parent’s telephone number (if under 16) or email which will be used solely for the purposes of informing the competition winners. Include these separately to the entry or written on the back of paper entries.
- There are three age groups: 10 and under, 11-16 and 18 plus. Five winning entries overall from all three groups will be selected by the judging panel which will include John Freeman, former Marvel Comics editor
- The judges’ decision on winners is final.
- We regret that posted or hand delivered entries cannot be returned without a stamped addressed envelope